Things to keep in mind when buying and selling on the Classifieds
The eBrandon classifieds are growing daily. Since their inception, thousands of items have changed hands thanks to the many great local buyers and sellers that make this a stop in their weeks. With that said, please keep the following in mind when using this site or any other local online classifieds:
- We strongly advise meeting the person you are buying from or selling to in person prior to exchanging funds. There are numerous scams on the internet where less than honourable people try to take advantage of both sides of the equation. In particular, as a seller if someone from out of Province (or country) offers to send you a money order, cashier's cheque, wire transfer or money via Western Union for your item it should be an instant red flag. In particular, there are individuals overseas who will take advantage of the fact that it can take more than a week for an overseas money order to clear. It should also be seen as an instant red flag if someone non-local is voluntarily offering to pay higher than your asking price.
- We also strongly advise only buying from or selling to individuals from Brandon and Manitoba on this site. As the classifieds are considered local, it should be seen as an instant red flag if someone from out of province has slipped through the cracks and is attempting to sell OR buy an item. We try our best ensure ad localness localness but unfortunately cannot make any guarantees.
- Regarding product or service quality, as is the case when buying any used items we highly recommend thoroughly verifying the quality of your purchase prior to exchanging money. eBrandon assumes no responsibility for any products or services exchanged.
- As a seller, if anyone has any reason to request that you first send them money, especially if they are not local and are unable to meet you in person, it should also be an instant red flag. If you are selling any item, there should be no reason for you to send money to a buyer regardless of the story they are telling.
- As a buyer, if you encounter an ad that is from out of province it is not recommended that you proceed as this is intended as a local service. If someone is asking you to send money for an item without seeing them or the item in person, it should be seen as a red flag. If the price seems too good to be true, another red flag. If they're giving an emotionally appealing reason for why some of the above is the case, another red flag. While all emails are different, below is an example of one actual email sent out in reply to an inquiry. Note the fact that they are out of province, are asking you to send money without seeing them or the vehicle in person and are giving an emotionally appealing reason why this is the case:
First I want to thank you for question about the (item).The (item) is in perfect condition perfect shape. no engine problems, damages or hidden defects.It has all the papers and document and I am also the owner.The price is CAD $2,400 including shipping to your address (only in Canada). The (item) is located in Canada but currently I am located in Detroit,United States, because I just finished the divorce with my husband and i have moved here to my parents for a while. |
I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon and i will also explain you all terms for this transaction.
If you have any questions at all, do not hesitate to contact us.